View Single Post
Old 09-16-11, 05:37 AM   #62
Rakeesh

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
By the looks of it, your right.

Sharing the same code base over different platforms is smart and makes sense. iOS is based on OS X. Android runs on different platforms and so on.

Sharing the same UI however is simply put a horrible idea. The first tablets used the normal desktop interface, that was a failure. Give it a great touch interface like Apple and Google did and they're a huge success!
Now their trying to force the tablet UI on the PC. It's bound to fail. There has to be an option for a classic desktop interface.
What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Even the mobile versions of Windows 8 will have available a desktop that looks just like Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Or you and everyone else can keep spreading foolishness. Windows 8 was demoed on 4 year old netbook with a 1st gen atom with a gig of ram. It used about 360mb and had only 30 some processes.
This is actually what I find interesting about Windows 8. They demonstrate that it will have all of the same features as Windows 7, plus some extras, while using less hard disk space and less RAM.

They made those optimizations for the express purpose of making it a more viable mobile OS, and I think that is a good thing since the OS will perform even better on high end systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
integration is fine, but forcing (yes forcing) a failing UI unto people is just stupid, and I really hope this will turn out worse for MS then windows ME.

OS boots into metro, then you have to click on desktop to go back to normal UI, that is forcing.
I would imagine that could be easily changed; you don't even have to use explorer as the default UI in windows 7. Hell, some versions of 2008 R2 (the enterprise edition of windows 7) don't even include explorer by default.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote