View Single Post
Old 09-17-11, 04:25 AM   #100
Rakeesh

Default Re: Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
simply horrible, windows with social bs integration, great, just ****ing great, when they finish the setup it will probably ask your for facebook acount.
I pretty much agree with this. I just tried windows 8 in a VM and so far I really don't like it from a UI perspective. You have to register a live id account, and then the start menu is removed and replaced with metro, and then metro is littered with social media junk.

Why can't I just have a regular start menu? I really don't like how when I want to launch another program, I have to completely cover up my desktop, not only that but metro is really cumbersome compared to the nice compact classic start menu, and I find it really annoying that you can't manipulate any system settings without metro active.

From a technical perspective windows 8 is great though. A fresh install uses only 10GB, and even in a VM it boots fast, not to mention has a very tiny memory footprint, and some apps, such as the task manager, have been greatly improved.

Also, I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but copying files is FAST. MS has really optimized the crap out of how the OS buffers data for file copying, it even does a better job than linux does now. Not only that, but it has an option where you can see the transfer rate in real-time (no more highly inaccurate estimations that wildly vary.) It takes literally 1.5 seconds to copy a gigabyte file on my setup, and again, that is within a VM which is slower than running on a real system.

That would be awesome if these increased disk I/O speeds would affect games as well.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote