View Single Post
Old 10-05-11, 12:41 AM   #87
MowTin

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I don't think you understand how megatexture works... The game is already 22 gigabytes with the textures it has now. The problem is, they wanted to do a big open world driving game with lots of area, which is the worst possible case for megatexture. Q4 was fine because it was fairly small closed levels for MP playing, not a huge open world.

Can you imagine how big this game would be if they just doubled the texture quality from whatever it is now?(looks like 256x256 on average) Four times the size. You're talking a 80GB game. No one could sell that. Many people don't even have enough HDD space for that. Its a failure of the tech they decided to use, for the type of game they decided to make. It doesn't have anything to do with consoles, you couldn't release the game with better textures, it would just be too big. Thats megatexture, waste a ton of space for unique textures, trading pretty much everything for more unique textures.
I totally agree. I wish they would just give up on that failed idea and use regular textures.

I'll still get the game this weekend but I won't stare at the walls too hard. Hopefully the gameplay makes up for it.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote