View Single Post
Old 10-05-11, 01:32 AM   #95
Ninja Prime

Default Re: Official RAGE Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
There's some tweaks possible with .cfg file, cannot wait to get my dirty hands on this one. (especially after some modding.)
http://www.gamepur.com/news/5615-rag...-settings.html

Actually it wouldn't necessarely use that much more storage space, they have quite nice little 'optimization' that checks areas where player can go and decreases resolution of stored textures further away.

What they should have done is increase the possible resolution where player can get very close to objects and with double the space we might have got 4-8 times the texel density on places where it really matters.
IE. huge environments where you would mostly be driving would be with same textures, but city areas and such near players head would get better textures.
From what I've read, carmack is already doing that to some extent. They use higher/lower compression and quality in places you are close to vs far away stuff you can't get to. Personally I just think megatexture is overkill, like swinging a sledgehammer at a problem you could have fixed by swinging a little harder with your normal hammer. I understand the need/want for unique textures, but using them everywhere is kind of ridiculous. Real life isn't like that, you couldn't tell one sheet of plywood or roofing tin from another. A typical red brick wall looks like any other. An asphalt road looks pretty much the same throughout, concrete walls all look the same pretty much, and I could go on, I think devs just need to try harder at using more unique textures the normal way, rather than taking the easy way out and using textures you've already made over again. Making everything unique is re-inventing the wheel when you just needed more wheels.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote