I have a problem with installing 285.05.09.
My OS is openSuSE 11.4 with Tumbleweed, so I have kernel 3.0.4. Now is nvidia 280.13 drivers installed.
What I do:
0) go to tty and run 'init 3' to stop kdm (and Xorg)
1) run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-285.05.09.run (downloaded from site), all seems 'ok', installer log see in attachment
2) do nvidia-bug-report.sh (see nvidia-bug-report.log.1-before-no-x.gz)
3) run 'init 5' or 'startx' - it's looks 'ok' (see nvidia-bug-report.log.2-after-no-restart.gz)
4) restart computer.... and no X at all
So as I see, after restart old kernel module (from 280.13) is loaded, and new libraries can't work with it.
Why it's not replaced with new one?
Hope this info is helpful. Or maybe any other info needed?