View Single Post
Old 10-18-11, 03:07 PM   #15
ViN86

Default Re: iPhone 4S reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Yup, Apple overcharges big time with the iPhone 4S. In other news, the new Moto RAZR will debut at an affordable $299!

Everybody I know who bought a 4S has had nothing but good things to say so far. Siri is spot on compared to Google's voice software (from friends who have owned both phones) and iOS 5 is really awesome (IMO).
My comment wasn't referring directly to the iPhone 4S price, more of their general business model for large profit margins on their hardware. It's cute how you come to their rescue, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Voice recognition needs to be fast and snappy, I'd say the main reason for it to be 4S exclusive is the faster hardware. I'm really interested to see performance comparisons to the "hacked" version on the previous generation hardware.

If you think that Apple doesn't have the back end for this, then what do you think would happen if a smaller company would launch such a thing? Assuming they would reach the same sales numbers of course.
I'm not saying they don't have the back end for it, I'm saying they're not appropriating enough of it. Big difference.

And there's no reason they can't run Siri on older hardware. They're just trying to improve their sales.

http://lifehacker.com/5850152/

Quote:
iPhone developer Steven Troughton-Smith managed to port Siri to iPhone 4 as shown in the above video, but Apple is not currently authenticating Siri commands from iPhone 4. This means that you can certainly install Siri on your iPhone 4 but the digital personal assistant will not respond to your inquiries.

Tech bloggers are speculating that Apple may wish to only allow Siri to connect to their servers using the new iPhone 4S even though there is no technical reason that iPhone 4 and iPad 2 should not be able to use the feature. Perhaps Apple will introduce Siri to these devices once the 4S has been available for a few months.
Nice to see the love Apple shows for its loyal fans.

I hope they do release it to older phones as well (since it is a beta atm). But this is Apple we are talking about, so who knows wtf they'll do...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote