View Single Post
Old 11-10-11, 03:14 AM   #5
Rakeesh

Default Re: No Network Access Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Im trying to fix my girls sisters PC and its giving me a bitch of a time. The issue is that her PC wont see any internet access. It detects that its plugged in but wont see the DNS or acquire an IP. I've tried resetting the winsock, reinstalling the TCI/IP Protocols, New Ethernet card, and a few other fixes but nothing is working. I don't want to reinstall windows if I have a choice but that might be the only option.

The error I get when I try to do a repair on her network adapter is "failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection. cannot proceed". Any help would be appreciated.
Forgive me if I sound like a snob, but you're troubleshooting this from the wrong direction. Kind of like trying to fix the flat tire by first checking your oil levels.

Just for giggles though, I'll show you how to quickly fix things from that side:

Open up your command console and do this:

ping 127.0.0.1

If you get something akin to "reply from 127.0.0.1" your ip stack is working fine. If not, do this:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset catalog

Then reboot. If it still doesn't work, reinstall windows, because something else is seriously wrong.

Having said all of that: From the sound of things, the problem isn't with the PC itself, the problem is at the other end of the line. Try doing:

ipconfig /renew

My guess is that it is going to time out and return an error (because it can't find the DHCP server.) However after it does fail, run ipconfig again with no parameters, and you should see the local interface come up with an IP address starting with 169.254.X.X. This is whats called a microsoft "link local" address that windows assigns to the adapter when it can't contact the DHCP server.

In that situation you need to look at the network infrastructure. Is she connected straight to the ISP? And by that, I mean is she connected directly to a cable modem/dsl modem? If so, unplug the modem from the power cord so that it turns off fully, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and try an ipconfig /renew again. If that fails, you'll need to call the ISP, because it's not something you're going to fix on your end.

If she's connected to either a router/switch, or an integrated modem/router/switch (basically if it has more than one ethernet port) then I'd try doing a factory reset of that device and see if that fixes it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote