View Single Post
Old 11-16-11, 03:48 PM   #5
shilk
Registered User
 
shilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 913
Default Re: Upgrading from 5770 to...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
a.)Keep the card. The 7 series are going to be launched mainstream parts first, higher end parts to follow. Seeing as how you first bought the 5770 and are now looking at the GTX560 I can safely assume you're concerned with only the mainstream parts and not the highend. As such, the mainstream of the 7 series should be available as early as next month, as late as the beginning of next year. It is likely that the "7770" will offer near 6970 levels of performance, at under $250, while consuming less power and producing less heat. Even if the wait is 2 months, far worth it in my opinion. This is likely what I'll be doing instead of buying anything right now.
I'm only concerned about gaming for the time being as I have plenty of time off on my hands for now. I did not know about the 7 series. And definitely didn't know they were on the horizon that soon. Will keep an eye out for those! Thanks, Redeemed!

Quote:
b.)If you cannot wait- hapooh is selling 3x 5870s for $90 each. At $90 one of his 5870s is a considerably better deal than even the GTX560ti. Not to mention for $180 you could buy two of his 5870s and completely crush anything nVidia or even AMD offers in the $200 price range. Not sure if your mobo supports CrossFire or not so you might be just limited to one 5870. Honestly, if you cannot wait to upgrade your card then I'd recommend picking up one of hapooh's 5870s. Will nearly double your performance at a fraction of the price of a GTX560.
Ah, that sounds like an awesome deal. My mobo does support CrossFire, so I might have to consider that. Only it really cranks down the bandwidth to 4x 4x. With a single videocard, it's at a full 16x.

Quote:
As to what you should upgrade first... I'd say upgrade your CPU, buy a PhenomII x6 first. Then as soon as the mainstream 7 series is available pickup one of those. If you cannot wait a month or two to upgrade your video card then pickup one of hapooh's 5870s (or two if your mobo supports CrossFire).
That sounds good. I can save tons of money by getting an X6 for $150 now and then just getting a videocard later.

Is there a specific X6 I should keep an eye out for or stay away from?
__________________
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote