View Single Post
Old 11-17-11, 12:22 PM   #12
shilk

Default Re: Upgrading from 5770 to...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Hey it's the least I could do. Be sure to post pics and impressions after the upgrades are all done!

One thing to remind you about- 1440x900 is uber low res for a card like a 5870. If performance isn't what you expected at first, start adding Anti-Aliasing to your games- you should be able to play most every game out right now with 100% maxed in-game settings at 1440x900 with varying levels of AA. Going CrossFire now might not yeild any substantial results because of the lower resolution. But once you get that new monitor you'll really see the 5870(s) come to life!
Hehe, will do.

I usally max out everything I can first and see how it runs, then slowly turn down effects that have little visual impact like decals and stuff. At this resolution, the 5770 has been great, but I can see the lag in some games (Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Skyrim, etc.) if I leave some options on. There's some pretty bad stutter at times as well.

With the newest Catalyst drivers, I can max out Skyrim to ultra, and it's very playable. But if I make sudden 180 turns, it's super choppy. If anything, the 5870 will help, tons later on.

Oh, God. I don't even want to get into monitors. There's so many right now that it's hard to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I like the 5750 because it does a lot for how much heat it produces. I'm looking for an upgrade to the 28nm space because ideally I'll upgrade to something that performs better at the same TDP.
Same reason why I got the 5770. It's not this giant furnace of a card, and for what I can accomplish it was perfect. I am, however, looking to get a little more "oomph" for now as I have been laid off yet again and finally have some time to catch up with games. Being able to turn on ALL of the eyecandy will definitely be awesome.