View Single Post
Old 12-23-03, 12:28 PM   #21
Papol

Default Re: Weird Nvidia stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Azureflare
OK I am running Mandrake 9.2 on an Athlon 2200+ with a shuttle mobo (not sure of version ATM). The stock NVIDIA 5328 .run file doesn't work for me (It complained about files existing like /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so and /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 which never existed and do not exist now; it installed, but it ran glxgears at 5 fps which is unacceptable; also getting similar errors in syslog that other people were getting), so I Tried the patches on minion.de. At first it didn't work; I did the thing with commenting out the irq line in nv-linux.h, and the kernel module was built, but it said that the kernel module wasn't created! So I took a peek in the .manifest, and also in the usr/src/nv, and also at the README. I realized that the minion.de patched .manifest expects nvidia.ko, which was NOT being created by the make process! So, I changed references to nvidia.ko to nvidia.o, and it was able to install fine. I'm not sure if this will cause any problems, what is this mysterious nvidia.ko file? I have never had an nvidia.ko file on any Mandrake system that I have used. Anyone know more about this?
.ko is the newer 2.6.x kernel convention for modules. It sounds as if you made a regular .o file, renamed it to a .ko and the 2.4 modutils (like modprobe) didn't care about the suffix. (or are you running a 2.6 kernel?)
Papol is offline   Reply With Quote