View Single Post
Old 12-23-03, 02:27 PM   #173
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

I believed Halo would be a game that would take us back to its roots - to where Bungie had intended during the PCXL screenie days. It sounded like Gearbox was going to take great care to make sure the game was done right, and I know I'm not the only one here who has been more than a little disappointed by the results. You say they're working on it, well they've been working on it for almost two years now. I'm frustrated at Gearbox, I'm frustrated at Microsoft, I'm frustrated at the continued prevalence and sub-par quality of console ports. And I'm saddened that Halo has to be put in that category, especially after we waited so long.

This may sound contradictory, but, Amen! I honestly, deeply wish that Bungie hadn't been bought out. That's the root of the design flaws that we see in Halo. The stuff that they were talking about doing during the original PC development was mind-blowing. Still is.

I'm not going to put Halo in the sub-par category... par for console ports seems to me to be right in the middle of the crap pile. Vice City is definitely a well-done port. But Halo's also much better than any one of the slew of high profile console ports that have come out - Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid, Spiderman: The Movie, and Enter the Matrix jump to mind.

And you know, I'm more disappointed with the SP than I thought I would be. I don't really care, though. It was worth going through just for the experience - the MP justifies the purchase of the game for me. I wish your broadband situation was more ideal; taking people apart in CTF would be easier if I had someone who I knew on my team.

Simply choosing to program to construct your entire game to take advantage of one archetecture gimps you if you end up moving it to a dissimilar archetecture that has no hardware standards whatsoever. Instead of starting from scratch and building something that can run on many different configurations and then picking one and running with it, you're picking the one way that's efficient and powerful to do things on this platform, and then trying to tack on additional functionality afterwards. It's the difference between using a powered screwdriver to get a screw out of a wall and using the blade of your pocket knife to achieve the same task - both will do the job, but one was designed specifically for the job while the other is doing multiple jobs that it wasn't necessarily designed for.

Yeah, I think that Halo started development Christmas 2001 - you're right. This was still plenty after Halo PC was released for the Xbox. Gearbox has had it for a long time - but I think that a lesser company would have churned out something that was a lot worse.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote