View Single Post
Old 11-30-11, 05:10 PM   #64
Redeemed

Default Re: ATi 7000 series delayed till Q1 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Now some more from BSN with supposed specs for Tahiti. They also say VLIW-5 will still be used, even though Trinity is said to be switching to VLIW-4, so one would have assumed the low end would have been VLIW-4 to crossfire with it. 7800 series is supposedly a shrinked 6900 with adjusted clock speeds, so VLIW-4 based. GCN is where things look exciting though and this will be reserved for the 7900 series for now.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...itectures.aspx

So London next week is a "Tech demo", with the launch supposedly at CES in Vegas come Mid January.

The specs they give for Tahiti XT and Pro (7970 and 7950) are very juicy if to be believed:

So we're looking at the very least something along the lines of 3GB GTX 580 level with faster memory. GCN is yet to prove itself but you would expect at least 25-50% faster than GTX580 3GB. I'm going to say 50-75% myself. Of course these specs are far from confirmed!
Yeah- I'm really excited about this upcoming release. Don't think I could afford anything from the 7900s, but 7700s-7800s is what I'm hoping for. Mostly looking at the slight performance bump over my 5870 with significantly decreased power consumption and heat output. Almost can't wait.