View Single Post
Old 12-12-11, 07:39 PM   #84
Rollo

Default Re: nVidia's 28nm Kepler expected to hit stores in late 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i SPY View Post
Fanboying much?

Physx 3 could bring a change but not much, bullet is still more efficient.

There are like 4-5 HW physx games worth mentioning, rest is just physx milking.. And even these 4-5 newer games (Alice2, Mafia2, BatmanAA, AC and maybe Cryostasis) are all bugged/inefficient.. Same story with a dedicated gpu.

For example Alice2 with 60fps cap, physx - high;
near fluids and smoke it drops to 35fps >> that's with gpu usage at max 52% (570gtx).. yes great efficiency, same sheit in batman AC.
The question was which standard developers prefer, not which is more efficient. Only two games currently released were given as examples of Bullet, I have around 15 PhysX games on my shelf. It's pretty obvious which developers prefer.

As far as "ye olde but some of those games are bad games!" argument goes, so what? The question is which developers prefer and obviously it's PhysX. I could say the same about Direct3d- 90% of the games aren't what I'd call "good games". Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Direct3d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i SPY View Post
Btw speaking of open std., Nvidia is thinking of importing Physx to openCL. Im kinda surprised you never heard of it since you're such a nvidia "expert".
Source? Here they are a couple months ago not only saying they have no plans to do it, but that developers aren't even asking them to do it:

http://physxinfo.com/news/6419/exclu...sx-technology/

Quote:
Is the fact that GPU PhysX is exclusive to NVIDIA some kind of barrier for GPU PhysX adoption?

Rev Lebaredian: It is not a secret that most of game developers are concerned about consoles. PC for them is a smaller SKU usually, so PhysX not running on competitor GPUs does not really matter that much to them.

Tony Tamasi: For every title we have worked on; for every one that Iím aware, that was never a reason for someone to use or not to use GPU PhysX.

PhysXInfo.com: Do you have any plans to port GPU PhysX to DX11 (Direct Compute) or OpenCL?

Rev Lebaredian: No plans to do it. Maybe if there will be a good reason for that in the future, but there is no current plan.

PhysXInfo.com: So developers are not asking you to port GPU PhysX to OpenCL?

Tony Tamasi: Nope.

Rev Lebaredian: No.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]