View Single Post
Old 12-22-11, 06:44 AM   #174
Rollo

Default Re: ATi 7000 series delayed till Q1 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I can guarentee NVs next gen will be faster. They would have to epic fail to not be faster. They are supposedly not launching for another 6 months, after all. 6 months of speed is worth more than $500 for the people with SLI/CF setups. Or if its just your time to upgrade, obviously, for now, AMD is better. You can't even admit that, just once?
Kepler is done from a design standpoint, if it is 6 months out that is only time for a re-spin to refine process.

I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the 7970 after reading the TechPower and AnandTech reviews. The only people who really "need" it are building a three monitor computer now and just can't wait a few months for a superior product.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/28.html

15% over the year old GTX580 at 25X16? This is not really a position of strength to base your next gen on. The only way it could be worse is if they didn't beat their competitor's last gen. A factory OCd 580 would close most of that gap.

If Kepler meets a conservative 50% faster than 580, which has been a minimum for NVIDIA next gen for years, it will destroy this card.

So like I said, does a person want to spend $550-$1100 in January to get performance that is going to seem slow in 1-6 months? It's a lot of money to get smacked down, especially if Kepler launches in 3-4 months.

If Kepler was due Q3-4 I'd agree with you. However, supposedly some new NVIDIA parts are launching Q1, and Q2 at latest. I think ATi Tahiti-dozed here.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]