View Single Post
Old 01-02-12, 01:10 PM   #161
Rollo

Default Re: Official Radeon 7970 Review and discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Take it for what it is really(a rumor), but it seems that the first release of the kepler generation will be the midrange card, with the high end version that aims to beat the HD7970 coming out later...No idea on the dual GPU version of kepler to beat the HD7990 being released in early march(march 12th supposedly).

For reference, Nvidia's CEO claimed they have Kepler based prototypes in their labs since november(no specific model stated), while AMD have had Tahiti prototype GPU's( the ones used in the HD7970), since last june, and the cards are only getting launched now(7 months later), and they didn't encounter any problems that required multiple revisions or anything.

So if we apply the same rule for Kepler, assuming it's the high end version they have in their labs right now, then we won't see it on retail until may at the earliest...
All nice theories, but like I said:

"How will someone paying gouger prices for a 7970 in January feel if a card that beats it by 20-30% comes out in February or March??"

As for your thoughts on the 25% upgrade being worth it or not, I'm talking about 25% over last gen. 25% over ATi current gen is 50% over last gen, and a much better upgrade.

In regard to the mythical 400MHz OCd Sapphires, I attribute them to the same FUD crew that produces the "official" NVIDIA slides that show high end Kepler in December. ATi would have to be retarded to make stock speed 925MHz on the launch cards for press if their cards can do 1350. LOL- if Kepler is going to launch in the first half of this year the design was done long ago.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote