View Single Post
Old 01-02-12, 08:00 PM   #170
shadow001

Default Re: Official Radeon 7970 Review and discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Prices always drop over time, etailers start competing, running sales to stimulate sales. (unless supplies are so limited they can gouge away)
Not really, prices haven't moved much on HD6970's or GTX580's over the past year, and multiple retailers carry them, and some ISV's carry cards from both, like Asus or Gigabyte.

Quote:
Here, I'll make it easy for you:
Is it more impressive to be:
A. 25% faster than last gen best and 25% slower than current gen best? (7970)
B. 25% faster than current gen second best, 50% faster than last gen best, and current gen best? (kepler)

No "double standard" here, just easy to comprehend facts you're trying to spin away.

I'm guessing your A example refers to the advantage the GTX580 has over the HD6970(25%), and the GTX580 loses by 25% over the HD 7970?

The B example is hard to follow as your automatically making assumptions about keplers performance, and implying that the HD7970 will become second best this generation, as soon as kepler is released?.... You've never heard the expression "don't count your chickens before they hatch" have you?

Quote:
Personally I'm only recommending people wait till the end of Q1, if NVIDIA hasn't shown their hand by then, buy away. For most people $550+ is a lot of money to make a mistake.
You should tell that to those who waited for the GTX480, bought it anyways despite it not quite being what fermi should have been, and then Nvidia releases the fully functional Fermi 6 months later....I'd be pissed if i were a GTX480 owner

Quote:
As far as your attempt to FUD goes by mentioning the 480 being late, I actually communicate with NVIDIA staff occasionally. I'll just say I'm comfortable with my recommendation people wait. The first card launched isn't always the one to have.
It was for the 9700 Pro nearly 10 years ago( NV 30 was crap)
It was for the HD4870, wich the GTX280 barely outran it and was more expensive, even Nvidia's CEO was impressed( stated in an interview shortly after), and the prices for the GTX 280 dropped 100$ to make it more competitive.
It was for the HD5870 and the story for the GTX480 speaks for itself.
It was for the HD6970 mainly because if it's price advantage over the GTX580.

Now what were you saying about being first not being a good thing again?...

Quote:
Your comparisons are meaningless. Different architecture, different die size. You can't predict Kepler OCing in any way with Fermi OCing. There's FUD, and then there's stupid FUD. Your FUD here is the latter.
Quite true, as we know that Nvidia doesn't shy away from making much bigger GPU's, usually exceeding 500mm^, compared to the 4.3 billion in AMD's chip at 365mm^...So it's pretty much a given it'll have a larger transistor budget( might be even close to 6 billion transistors), using more power under load, since both processors come from TSMC and use the same fab process...It's the only thing they have in common really.

Given the extra complexity from that kind of transistor budget, i can really see it overclocking 300mhz + beyond stock speeds with the stock cooler and a mild overvolt...Oh snap, it's never happened with an Nvidia chip before...

Quote:
I wish the 7970 was 10X faster than the 580, had DVI output 3d that didn't rely on 3rd party drivers from some penny ante company, had physx and had AO, and had driver profiles for games when they launch- I'd buy two.

But they don't. They only give 15-25% more performance and don't have any of that stuff, so to me they're a ripoff at $550 or likely more.

Ripoffs you say?....This coming from Nvidia who has launched single GPU cards for 650$ a piece in past years, like the 7800 GTX 512 MB as an example....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote