View Single Post
Old 01-05-12, 03:06 AM   #219
K007

Default Re: Official Radeon 7970 Review and discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
You're exaggerating on the game thing and your video card in the opposite way.

5870's were at that time were least $550 and went up to as high as $620 AUD. There was a lack of supply of them due to the new 40nm process and our dollar went back down to around 80-90USD for a while in late 09. I got my ASUS for $580, there's no way you got a 5870 for $350 until at least mid way through 2010, i'd say only after the 6970 launch were they that cheap!

6970 was a lot cheaper than the 5870 for many reasons - better supply, much stronger competition, and a stronger dollar locally.

As for games, yes they usually charge a lot more, but Skyrim always has been $89. I found a boxed copy online in AUS for $59, although I had to wait for two weeks after launch to get it. Big title games on steam are very steep though.

As for 7970, it will probably cost a little more than 5870's did in their first 6 months of sale here as the situation is very similar. Our dollar is better, but supply is possibly even lower and recommended retail prices are higher. I'm thinking prices will start at $600AUD and go to $700AUD. Some initial listings may be higher.
I was using Steam as the pricing point. Yes if your smart you can look and find better deals, like i did. Skyrim i got for 55USD. I am not exaggerating, this is what the prices are on Steam even right now.

Of course 7970 will be pricey, there is zero competition lol, not to mention the stock is pretty low.

I doubt they would be putting $700AUD, no one will buy it when you can get a GTX580 for a lot cheaper, and nvidia will be putting the prices on that down once 7970 is properly out.

I did get my 5870 for around $350~, i cant remember when i got it though, guessing when ever the sapphire released the vapor x? I needed one as my 4870 was dying. Maybe you got ripped off or something..i always search around for better deal.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote