View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 12:52 PM   #30
Rollo

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
"Tick tock" strategy is Intels coined term, way to fail bro.
Looked to me like you needed education in the nature of the difference between a product refresh and a core redesign, ticktock is something you can Google that explains it. While there's no die shrink with 480>580, the method is similar: New core>refined process new core>New core. Wasn't me that was ignorant enough to imply NVIDIA would be redesigning a part they've publicly announced will launch in the first half of this year. What I said is true- the core design of Kepler was a year ago basically the same as it will be on launch day. That is why the 7970 is so feeble as well- the core design was already largely done when the 580 launched. ATi doesn't WANT to get the ass kicking they're about to receive, but they have to make the major design choices so far in advance of launch that when they get to the end of last year, about all they can do is opt for a higher projected failure rate clock speed and spend more on the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
But let me quote you again, exactly:

580 is a part, right? 480 was the last gen before that, right? Alrighty then, thanks for playing. Perhaps you meant architecture? Even so, why don't you take a little trip down the history files of your favorite site, techpowerup...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N..._Fermi/32.html

GTX 285 ---> GTX 480, 28%.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/P...TX_280/25.html

8800 GTX ---> GTX 280, 27%. Note that the 8800 Ultra isn't included, which would diminish this gap further.

From your own link, 6970 ---> 7970 is 23%, and those are the averages, which include low resolutions you would never use them for, if you look at the top resolution and compare, you end up with 30% for 285/480, and 28% for 6970/7970. Roughly the same. Cool story bro.
I think most of us know the difference in generations and refreshes, even if the concept escapes you.

Honey badger don't care.

Soon I'm going to be posting "LOL, told you so" and you and your friends will be back to posting "Those AMD cards are a darn good deal. They don't want to have the best GPUs! Their business model is to fail every year and sell them cheaper! Don't you know anything about successful businesses that first go bankrupt and then drag down the company foolish enough to buy their carcass?!"

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote