View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 04:12 PM   #36
Redeemed

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Thats not true redeemed. Before the big compute push by NV it was, but with the diversifying into compute, the gains are smaller. Starting with the 280, they only made 50-60% ish, and fermi was even worse, 40-50% often. All tech increases are slowing down. Even in terms of raw numbers, which are practically irrelevant to game performance, they didn't double. In fact the only real doubling we've seen has been on AMDs side, from R600 to R700 they more than doubled most of their chip and from R700 to Cypress they were pretty much an exact doubling of hardware. This gen from AMD and last gen have both been an analog to NVs 280 and 480, with more focus on compute than raw increases.
No I agree. But 50% is still decent. I think the big problem with the decrease in performance increase isn't so much the hardware though- it's the SW. Most games are DX9 still, built for the consoles and ported to PC. When DX9 was new, the consoles were new, there was more fierce competition between the PC as a platform, and the consoles.

I think we'll see this again once the new consoles are released but that's likely at least a year away, if not longer. So we'll see even less gains from each generation till the new consoles come out. Then, hopefully, we'll see the PC start competing once more.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote