View Single Post
Old 10-06-02, 12:24 PM   #13
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrk200
Well, I'm not that new to linux, I do know some stuff, and yes, I did do all that exactly as you stated. Also, this is on rh8.0. I noticed you do no have "unix /:7100" for a FontPath. This seems to be what is causing my problem because it doesn't want to initialize. Should I try reinstalling xfs?
Don't try to reinstall it, just try to start it. xfs is a separate program from X, and when you start X, it doesn't automatically start xfs. It just assumes xfs is already running (and listening on port unix:/7100). Your startup scripts should be trying to load xfs -- do you see info about it displayed when you boot?

Try (this is from memory, so you might want to double-check the syntax with the chkconfig man page) /sbin/chkconfig --list xfs. If it isn't set to "on" in runlevel 3 or 5, do a /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 on or something like that -- again, check the man page for syntax. The important part is the --level, the 3, and the 5. It's also not a bad idea to have it start in level 2 and 4. I haven't used chkconfig myself recently, but it's pretty standard on RedHat installations at least. It probably exists on other distros, too.

Edit: And then after you set it to on, you have to actually start it, either by rebooting or by doing a /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start as root. Do the chkconfig stuff as root also.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote