View Single Post
Old 01-18-12, 02:13 PM   #7
ViN86

Default Re: Wozniak: My iPhone can't do what my Android can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
No, not with what I see every day at work. A few guys I work with have Android phones, mostly HTC and they constantly have to deal with ridiculous issues:

Enabling some sort of a debug mode to be able to sync with Outlook, crashing HTC Sense which requires a "reboot" of the UI, slow responsiveness to user input, ...

A lot of it is probably HTC related but some Samsung users are also complaining about issues. Not to mention the ultra long delays until they'll get the OS updates! Also some have Android Tables at home for digital newspapers and they're complaining a lot about really slow PDF refresh/reload rates.

And it's also not the user's fault. We're all engineers at work, so we know a thing or two about technology

As mentioned already in another thread, if I had to use an Android phone, I'd get the current Google reference device with stock Android. But I'm soo glad I don't have to use Android other than for some private developing projects...
All the problems you listed, I do not consider common. I never get those issues, and I setup my dad's phone to sync with Outlook, and he never gets those issues. Furthermore, your friends should be able to fix all the issues you listed.

With about 20-30 min. of tweaking and your friends should be able to completely fix all of their issues. HTC's even have unlocked bootloaders. There are multiple options available. First, whatever app your friend is using to sync with Outlook sounds like garbage. I will ask my dad which app I setup on his phone (there are a few out there, I forget the exact one I used). Second, slowdowns can be prevented by changing the amount of memory to keep free (stock ROM's are often too aggressive with that). Finally, having to restart the UI indicates that he's using a bad app/process that keeps crashing. If it really is part of the internals (i.e. the ROM), then he could easily use a custom ROM, which can not only improve stability, but increase battery life.

I don't normally suggest all this, but you said they're tech savvy, so they should be capable of fixing their problems...

Android is like Windows. You need to know what you're installing and what's going on.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote