View Single Post
Old 01-20-12, 12:14 PM   #104
shadow001

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I must confess I'm not too savy on nVidia's codenames. However, if I'm not mistaken the "GTX660" will be slower than the 7970. Which means the "GTX680" will either be as fast, or just slightly faster. That only leaves the "GTX690" but that will have to compete with the 7990.

If all of that is true, then I wonder how tRollo will implement his damage control? The 7970 is a pretty decent increase over the 6970. Not so much over the GTX580. If the GTX680 is as fast or just barely faster than the 7970 how will it be an upgrade over a GTX580 or a 7970? And wouldn't that be less of a performance increase over previous gen than what the 7970 brought? Thinking about it, it just doesn't seem to make sense. I expect the GTX680 to lead the 7970 just as the GTX580 lead the 6970. Maybe even moreso.

Well put it this way, even when JHH did the presentation of the future roadmap for Nvidia over the next few years, the charts used primarily focused of single and dual precision floating point math, such as this:

Disregading the timetable itself as kepler didn't make it in 2011, we just see dual precision floating point math as the main metric wich isn't related to gaming at all but important for cuda and GP-GPU in general.....So the main point is that a carefull balance will have to be struck between gaming and GP-GPU performance, as that's where they sell the Quadro and tesla versions of the cards, wich are priced far higher than the gaming version using the same GPU and make Nvidia far more money for every card sold.

So when it comes to gaming, i do believe it'll be faster than the HD7970, but only enough to beat it by some margin without compromising too much on GP-GPU abilities, wich if you're wondering, the HD7970 also got a serious boost there as it's GCN architecture allows it to have 1.2 terraflops dual precision and 3.7 terraflops single precision math....On dual precision alone it's twice as much as the GF110 found in the GTX580.

On the chart we see 5 Gigaflops per watt for Kepler as the target, so assuming the usual 300 watt limit for PCI-e express power limit for single GPU cards, it'll give kepler 1.5 terraflops dual precision math ability if the entire 300 watts was dedicated to the GPU alone(wich it can't be as there's other stuff that needs power like the memory) ....No idea for single precision since it isn't listed.

Basically it's not just about gaming anymore....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote