View Single Post
Old 01-21-12, 02:56 PM   #1
holmes

Default a budget rig is born

Hi all,
I've been working on slowly piecing together a new rig over the last 4 or 5 months. My aim was to build something dirt cheap that also had some solid upgrade options. After going back and forth whether to go intel or amd, I decided to stick with amd. I think AM3+ will give me strong upgrade options for the next few years. Yes I know bulldozer in it's current incarnation can't really compete with sandy bridge. That doesn't really concern me. I have mostly everything I need except the processor -- thinking about going either athlon x2 or x3.

My gaming needs are fairly simplistic at the moment. My Samsung 930BF monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024, so I don't need some brawny video card. Well at least not yet. Actually I've been itching to play some old school games for a while -- no BF3 or crysis for me. I have an itch to play me some doom3 for some reason.. Since I'm a cheap bastard I'll probably go linux for a few months until I just buy win 7. Maybe over the next year I'll switch out the GPU or upgrade to a phenom. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote