View Single Post
Old 01-24-12, 01:47 PM   #532
ViN86

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
$600 is not a lot. And for that you get OS X, a beautiful and slim case, perfect build quality and a decent screen for a TN panel. Also the keyboard and trackpad are great but that's subjective.

I agree about the upgrades but most companies ask way too much for factory installed upgrades. It's not just Apple...
I knew you'd say that. Yes, it is a lot when it's 60% of your budget. My Thinkpad's case is slim, the build quality is superb (magnesium alloy) and I prefer a trackpad. Plus, my TN panel is 1600x900 and perfect for my needs (i.e. text).

And yes, Lenovo wanted $100 for a 4GB stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well if you think a $350 Dell with an unofficial version of OS X is the same as the original, then yeah, dream on.

It's like those 500HP+ tuned ricer cars. The powerful engine (OS X in this case) alone doesn't make the full experience. It's still a crappy Japanese car
First off, the version is official. It's a vanilla kernel. It's directly from Apple, with no modifications. Now does it violate their EULA? Yea. But I didn't steal anything. I installed using the software they gave me, and I didn't reverse engineer any of their code.

Second, the only difference between the Dell and the real deal is the external appearance. The experience, which I define as the OS and the performance of the hardware, is the same.

I'd also like to note that this probably isn't the right place for our futile debate slawter, but I don't know where else to put it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote