View Single Post
Old 01-25-12, 01:25 AM   #144
shadow001

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelven View Post
No, that isn't what I said. If you are bandwidth limited to that point, then it really doesn't matter. In normal gaming scenarios, you are not 100% bandwidth limited 100% of the time.

It is a known fact that AA will use up more memory bandwith period, so adding the gaming scenario variable only adds more potential bottlenecks both on the hardware side of the system(latency and I/O throughtput), and software bloat especially in the direct 3D API itself that basically hides it.

Quote:
Tell you what... get a HD7970, downclock the memory to GTX 580 levels, downclock the core to GTX580 levels and then compare the results. If the HD7970 truly has more effective ROPs, then it should still win by a significant amount. If you don't have a 7970, ask someone who does to run the test for you. Then you will at least have reasonably sound data on which to base a conjecture.

Got 4 of them on the way and this is to replace a triple GTX580 SLI cooled on water, driving 3 2560*1440 panels in surround(7880*1440 pixels, bezel compensated), so i think i'm in good position to really push fillrate, texturing rate and memory bandwith of any video card to the limit, and even more so with AA enabled at that crazy resolution thanks and trying to keep it playable....

Quote:
EDIT: *You can also look at the 7970 vs the 6970. The 7970 has a 50% bandwidth advantage over the 6970, it performs 50% better than the 6970. Amazing what bandwidth can do in a completely bandwidth limited synthetic test.

And makes the point of having more Rops kinda irrelevant now doesn't it, as even in AA figures, the GTX580 gets left behind even with the extra rops in it, and given that i have overclocked the memory on my own cards( i have 3 of them right now), it doesn't make a difference in any benchmark or game i've ever ran, even though i'm adding more memory bandwith than what they have stock....Increasing the core speed had a big improvement though...

So where's the bottleneck?
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote