View Single Post
Old 01-26-12, 01:18 PM   #558
ViN86

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Most tinkering isn't worth my time anymore. I'll pay the extra buck to have it work right out of the box, then spend my time on more important things.

But I'm glad you got that working Vin. BTW, how do you like OS X compared to Windows and Linux? How long have you been using it? Are you using it as a primary machine?
It's ok. There are some strengths and some weaknesses. Honestly, I feel like window management (movement, resizing, etc.) in OSX is subpar compared to Windows 7. Maybe touchpad gestures makes it better? But I find moving the windows around and resizing them very clunky. I have come to rely way too much on the Windows 7 automatic resize (when you drag it to the side).

Now, Expose/Spaces is by far superior to anything Windows offers. I have found an Expose clone that works quite well for Windows, and it makes things tolerable. The unix-based command line is another great thing about OSX. I really enjoy using the terminal for most file/search operations. It also has great tools I use like sftp, ssh, gcc, etc. Compiling in unix environments is so much nicer than Windows lol.

So, I'm torn on it. I've been on the road quite a bit lately, so I've been on my Thinkpad mostly. Also, I've gotten into CUDA recently, and my T420's Quadro NVS 4200m is much nicer than my Hackintosh's Quadro NVS 135m.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote