View Single Post
Old 01-26-12, 06:40 PM   #165
shadow001

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelven View Post
They are nice cards indeed and the 3GB framebuffer + extra bandwidth should really help things at your resolution. I can't fathom powering / needing 4 of the them though!

Single 1500 watt silvertone strider power supply, and yes the vast majority of that power rating will be used to power everything up, and since there's a lot of heat being released not just from the 4 cards but all both 6 core Xeon CPU's running a 4 Ghz(yup, 12 cores and 24 threads), and using an EVGA SR-2 motherboard, everything will be water cooled:

The beast in question with the GTX580's:

It can already use 1200 watts at the wall outlet when i used an inductive Ampmeter around the power cord as it is, so the 15 amp circuit breaker that powers the wall outlet itself is already complaining(it can deliver 1850 watts before shutting the circuit down...), so i'm expecting the 4 HD7970 get to it even closer to it's shutdown limit, so even the electrical wiring in the house is working against me...Nope, environmentally friendly and low carbon footprint this isn't...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote