View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 12:41 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Did'nt Know 4 sticks Of Memory on a EX58

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19055 View Post
I have a i7-920 on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and I was looking to get some more memory since it is so cheap at the moment.I was looking at the 12gig kits and the 16gig kit and they were about the same price $79 and $84 ,the 16gig kit was $5 more.I did not know that you could run 4 sticks and still be in 3 channel mode on a EX58 board..The kit said it was optimize for the new chips but it ran just fine in my old board. The G.Skill DDR 1333 7-7-7-21 1.5v,it will run at 1600mhz at 8-8-8-24 1.5v,It will even run at 1866Mhz at 10-10-10-30 1.5v.This is pretty good memory to be so cheap.I have alway ran it at 1200mhz anyway since 1600mhz did'nt really show no gain,Plus my CPU run a little cooler at 1.5v instead of 1.64v that my OCZ had to run at.It does load my desktop quicker ,I have ran any benchmarks ,but I doubt there will be any difference .I hope it makes decoding faster.
My motherboard only has four DIMM slots. I believe what it does is a bit of a hybrid implementation. It'll run three sticks in tri-channel, and one in single. So that way you'll see a performance boost due to the tri-channel, but can still enjoy greater amounts of memory.

Not 100% certain on this my self, but I've got all four DIMM slots populated, all 16GB shows up correctly, but every where I look it is reported as running in Tri-channel. Can't say I've seen any real performance benefit from dual channel so maybe it is being reported wrong. Don't know.

Anyhow I've always valued quantity over dual vs tri-channel.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote