View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 02:55 PM   #266
shadow001

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
It's just a rumor. Even if it's true, it's nothing going to be dedicated to just PhysX, that would be stupid, they ported PhysX to Cuda for that purpose. If anything, they will tweak the shaders.
It's fluid based physics according to that article, wich is a step beyond what regular PhysX does unless you enjoy seeing fluid based physics in games running in realtime displayed at 2 Fps...

Quote:
It's 6 games vs none from the other companies. That's still a win in my books.

In how many years?....I rest my case.

Quote:
I don't think that's true at all. The extensions were needed, because OpenGL was too slow to implement new features, but developers needed them right then.

Also, PhysX doesn't need to become a standard, it's just a middleware. That would be like asking developers to only use Unreal engine.

You'll find this funny but OpenGL actually had more feature support at the begining since it actually supported features that DirectX didn't at the time, such as multitexturing wich Direct X5 didn't and OpenGL did and it was only added to direct X6, and it's those extensions that brought it down mainly because GPU vendors couldn't agree on features they wanted to add on their next generation cards, with each one going their own direction and game developers holding the ball by having to choose what features to use in their new game releases....It was a messy situation to say the least.

Making all features mandatory in DX10 and allowing no extensions at all was the best thing that could have happened to gaming, so now that companies can't mess with graphics features anymore to be DX10/11 compliant or risk the ire of microsoft, you have Nvidia seemingly trying to do it with physics instead to make their hardware seem special over the competititon, like they didn't learn a damn thing with GPU PhysX and are trying it a second time.

Features supported by a single card brand will never fly as developers are interested in selling their games to as many people as possible, many of whom might not be running Nvidia hardware at all, so unifying standards is the only way to go to see them used in more games ansd sooner, but from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make your hardware seem special, and Nvidia hates that with a passion it seems.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote