View Single Post
Old 02-05-12, 01:52 AM   #278
Vardant

Default Re: next gen kepler to support dx 11.1, also take a year to rollout all cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It's fluid based physics according to that article, wich is a step beyond what regular PhysX does unless you enjoy seeing fluid based physics in games running in realtime displayed at 2 Fps...
Still doesn't make sense to actually add a dedicated HW part, that would just sit there, when it's not being used.

Quote:
In how many years?....I rest my case.
It's actually 9 games, if you only take into account games made with PhysX and not Ageia in mind and it was over the course of 3 years.

Alice, Batman AA/AC, Cryostasis, Dark Void, Mafia 2, Metro 2033, Mirror's Edge and Sacred 2.

Quote:
....It was a messy situation to say the least.
So closed standard was the better choice in the end, just like I said.

Quote:
Features supported by a single card brand will never fly as developers are interested in selling their games to as many people as possible, many of whom might not be running Nvidia hardware at all, so unifying standards is the only way to go to see them used in more games ansd sooner, but from a marketing standpoint it doesn't make your hardware seem special, and Nvidia hates that with a passion it seems.
You will be surprised, that from all those companies, that used GPU PhysX, none of them were concerned about the fact, that only NV HW can run it.

Also, if NV managed to get into the PS4, then we'll definitely hear some complaints from other gamers, that they want GPU PhysX/physics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Like in Crysis 2 where they have an excessive level of tessellation for no apparent reason.
I can actually tell you why, because unlike most sites, one local site here asked a 3D graphic, who amongst other things worked on Mafia 2.

It was because of displace mapping/height mapping. For example, if you have a 128x128 texture, tesselation needs to smooth the polygon to 128x128 or more polygons.

If you go even further to 256x256, it allows for smoother transitions and the object appears much more plastic, thanks to tessellation and displace/height mapping.

The other reason, for almost over-using tessellation is a problem with very thin and long polygons. The GPU has a really hard time with dealing with polygons, that are for example only 1mm wide, but 5m long. It's a problem, that every engine he worked on had. Dynamic tessellation on singlemesh objects should help with that, but Crysis 2 apparently doesn't support it. And because it's missing, the level of tessellation doesn't change with the distance of camera.

Some of it might not be correct, because it wasn't easy to translate something you don't really understand.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote