View Single Post
Old 02-14-12, 11:27 AM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: No GTX680 until Q2 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
This assumption is as much as mine, nothing to go but gut instincts perhaps (but we all aren't ASIC experts). Just because that the purported tactics for GK110 is to try to get more SPs in doesn't mean squat in terms of the capability of the SPs themselves. Is still am skeptical that the sp count could be that high!

If anything, some fervent hater of NV who runs a not so accurate website mentioned that the GK110 is/may be reticule limited which leads me (and only me perhaps) to believe that if it is 4096 SPs then, the SPs may not be so limited (then again it depends what market we are talking ab out I guess).

This shader thing talk is interesting. Its interesting in that the focus on DP related markets is taking it toll on both camps as that's the lucrative market (well maybe I sould say us desktop GAMERS! ). Both these IHVs can't ignore that emerging market yet at the same time, both have to compromise to give something that is acceptable for HPC/professional market and also desktops.

LOL! i Love SILLY SEASON!!!

hmmm...what a load of codswallop! hahahah
Well, CUDA cores are much different from SP's. And if it is true that Nvidia is going the route of ATI, I am curious about the future of CUDA on consumer cards (i.e. non-workstation cards). There's no reason they can't run PhysX on SP's (might take a little driver rewrite), and most people don't use CUDA, so it may become a Quadro only feature.

Honestly, I hope that's not the case and we continue to get CUDA on consumer performance cards, but the architecture change worries me. Another option is to rework CUDA to be more like OpenCL. ATI cards outperform Nvidia cards in OpenCL applications currently. With some smart adaptation and architecture changes, Nvidia could change that around.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote