View Single Post
Old 02-14-12, 06:26 PM   #17
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: No GTX680 until Q2 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
you are speculating in the negative order with even knowing performance yet. Then this is all conjecture either way at this point as we know bugger all. I tend to be cautious of the rumor that the GK110 is 4096 SPs.
I'm just saying that the die size would be insanely large if they quadrouple the amount of the current CC's. Also, unless they beef up the rest of the chip accordingly and significantly increase the memory bandwidth those extra cores will go to waste due to imbalance in the architecture. If they're using that many cores, it's damn likely they will be different (weaker) than the current cores. I doubt they'll change the naming, however.

Assuming the cores wont be hot clocked, we can at least assume that they will only be half as capable at any given base clock speed. Surely the removal of hot-clock-ability will no doubt free up some space and complexity on the die, which in turn makes adding that many more cores possible.

Current rumour is that the GK104 will have 1536 CC's, think of that as a 768 CC GF1xx part. Of course clock speeds will be a bit more than half of the old hot clock speeds, most likely. I myself think they they will possibly be further reduced beyond just removing the hot clock, but not too drastically.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote