View Single Post
Old 12-30-03, 11:59 PM   #2
jhiller

Ok, stupid admission of guilt. I shouldn't have had /usr/src/linux being a symlink
to /usr/src/linux-2.6.0. I put it back to what it was, which was a set of headers
from long ago (circa 2.4-something kernel source).

Using the Makefile to build from that, got much better results, but still not a good
build:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/packages/incoming/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1/usr/src/nv'
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=5328 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DREMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error nv.c
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=5328 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DREMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-agp.c
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=5328 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DREMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-interface.c
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wno-multichar -Werror -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=5328 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNVCPU_X86 -DREMAP_PAGE_RANGE_4 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error os-registry.c
ld -r -o nv-linux.o nv.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o
ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
make[1]: *** [package-install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/packages/incoming/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1/usr/src/nv'
make: *** [kernel_module_install] Error 2

At this point, I look in the usr/src/nv directory, and there is indeed a file nvidia.o
that was created. So I execute by hand the step that died:

ld -r -o nvidia.o nv-linux.o nv-kernel.o

and that completes with no issues. Examining the makefile, I see there is some
'rmmod-check' that appears to be what's dying. If I then do

make -i install

because I have no clue what is dying, I get a full completion of the make install,
except for this one error as shown above.

If I then do an insmod nvidia.o, I get:

insmod: error inserting 'nvidia.o': -1 Invalid module format

So now I'm truly at wit's end.

For ref - I have no problems doing other compilations of things (like the kernel,
and other modules for other purposes).

I'm suspecting that somehow there is something wrong with what I have in
/usr/src/linux (like, it's somehow out of sync with the rest of my glibc universe),
but if that were the case, I should be having problems with other things, and
I'm not.

For ref also - I don't use a particular distribution. My box is sorta slackwarish,
though most everything I build from scratch. I do, however, retain the basic
(and current, 9.1) slackware file system, kernel devices, and certain packages
from the current slackware release - including glibc 2.3.2 and gcc 3.2.3.

thx for any help - and sorry about the last post. My bad.

jbh

(Oh - also, don't know why the "Riva 128" is posted under my name; I didn't
set that. I have a GeForce4 MX 440 SE - based evga.com video card).
jhiller is offline   Reply With Quote