View Single Post
Old 03-01-12, 05:00 PM   #49
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
In my experience with open source counterparts, there is no substitute for Microsoft Office. Other apps typically mess up the file format, have slower features, or not as many.
I tried quoting you but nothing showed up, tried several times. Finally refreshed the page and saw you ninjy-edited your post.

I'd imagine MS has far better technical support for business than OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Another plus for them.

As to 8, as it stands I've no intention of upgrading. Granted it hasn't gone retail yet so things could change. If I can disable Metro altogether and just use the traditional start menu + taskbar and desktop I'll consider it. I know MS has made improvements to the OS's backend, making it use less resources and in general just more efficient. I'd love to take advantage of that but not if I'm force to use Metro or a clumbsy KB+M GUI. Windows 7 GUI is great, so even if that's what I'd be using, just with the improved backend and efficiency of 8 I'd be happy.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it doesn't take a whole lot to impress me. Just don't want anything to do with Metro.

All that being said, I'm still certain that Metro will be optional. Maybe a little more forced on the user in the "Home Premium" version, but in the "Professional" and "Ultimate" versions of Windows 8 I'm certain that Metro will be completely optional and not forced on you. MS wants to sell this across the board. They don't want to corner themselves into the smart phone and tablet markets. They want developers to adopt 8, they want businesses to have 8 running on their workstations, and even though it's far more of niche market they want power users to run 8. Metro will never work in those usage scenerios so I'm certain for the "higher end" versions of 8 (Pro and Ultimate) we'll have the option to fully disable Metro if we like.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote