View Single Post
Old 03-02-12, 05:32 AM   #3
taniwallach

Default Re: 295.20 crash - suspend/logout/shutdown failing

Now I did - hope the time spend testing this helps.

NOTE: I uninstalled all the Debian NVIDIA packages (necessary to allow a manual nVidia driver install), then downloaded and installed 295.20 from NVIDIA site. (Needed "-e" for export mode to bypass the pre-install script which was causing a SIGTERM and failure to compile/install).

Had the same hard freeze/crash problems as before (network/keyboard all dead) which forced a hard power cycle. Each reboot needed a fsck of /home which was not properly unmounted. I did not spend any time testing stability, just that the X server started and would crash the system when stopped.

Try 1: Start "gdm3" (started up) and then stop it. Crashed system when I stopped gdm3.

Try 2: I ran "startx -- -logverbose 6" and then "nvidia-bug-report.sh". This time the splinning icon of loading stuck and I still managed to run "nvidia-bug-report.sh". When I killed X - a system freeze. The bug report from this try is the small attached file called nvidia-bug-report-try2.log.gz.

Try 3: I ran "startx -- -logverbose 6" and then "nvidia-bug-report.sh". This time the splinning icon of loading stuck and I still managed to run "nvidia-bug-report.sh". When I killed X - a system freeze. The bug report from this try is the larger attached file called nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.

NOTE: switching to Virtual Terminals from X screen - does NOT work. Screen is just solid black.

Once again I switched back to the Debian 290.10-1 packages, which work fine.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (130.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-try2.log.gz (106.3 KB, 51 views)
taniwallach is offline   Reply With Quote