Re: Official Radeon 7800 series Review and discussion thread
- better performing than the 6970 and 6950 respectively
- much lower power, even than the 6800 series they replace
- better performing than NV competition 570 and 560ti
- great overclock performance scaling and still using less power than a 6870 (tech report)
- solid tessellation performance
- run cool and pretty quiet, especially compared to the old 6870 reference card
This release really surprised me. I expected 6950 performance in most cases and sometimes up to 6970 in rare instances, or tessellation use. What they delivered for the 7870 was above 6970 performance on average and even enough to nip at the GTX 580's heels. When overclocked, it seems to scale better than the 580 also so it often pulls ahead of extreme OC edition 580's like the MSI lightning extreme. I expected power use to be a bit below 6800 series, but not that much.
These are seriously well rounded cards! Anyone with a 6800/460 or lower not looking to spend too much would find a great buy with one of these. Maybe the prices will go down in a few months, but seriously, the price is not all that overinflated at all IMO unlike the 7900 and 7700 series. If they came down $50 each they would be amazing deals, right now, they are just good replacements for the 6900 series with a few bonuses of better performance and much lower power use/heat. That's still pretty good for the same price IMO.
__________________Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S
Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA