View Single Post
Old 01-01-04, 03:49 PM   #1
nry

Default Fedora, nvnet and optimization=1 equals frequent lockups

Hi all,

After reading through all forum postings regarding the nvnet network card driver I found that my problem was not uncommon. I have an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard which is nForce 2 based, running the latest BIOS.

I am running the stock Fedora install (though all updates including kernel make no difference to the problem). I found that as soon as I install the nForce drivers system performance drops substantially when the network is on use. Considering this box is a firewall/web server/cache/file server for my home LAN this isn't much good!

It seems that the use of 'options nvnet optimization=1' in /etc/modules.conf makes system performance buttery smooth. Good except I now experience severe and very frequent system hangs either during boot or at random times during system usage.

I have installed the 256 nForce drivers from source, and have tried older versions which all have the same issue.

The main problem is that once I make the change to modules.conf, if the system cannot be booted successfully there is no way for me to change this file back to default.

Can anyone else here suggest anything I can try? I am currently running without the modules.conf alteration as this is at least stable. I notice that although the poor performance of the nvnet driver has been reported by lots of people, NVIDIA have not updated the nForce driver set for months and months. I'm now very close to ditching the board in favour of a non-NVIDIA board as I am not willing to live with the poor performance. Things like Squid, named, Apache etc hog between 30-100% of the CPU though with the optimization=1 line added they rarely go above 5%: that's when it doesn't hang during boot!

I'm giving this a few days to try some suggestions and if it isn't resolvable I'll be buying a new board and steering clear of NVIDIA in the future!

Regards and thanks for any replies,

nry
nry is offline   Reply With Quote