Following presentation was held as part of GDC 2012
NVIDIA Game Technology Theather
event on March 9
Session called 'Enhancing Games with APEX (Clothing, Destruction, Turbulence)
' was presented by Aron Zoellner
and Kevin Newkirk
Presentation has started with overview of APEX Clothing
module using full-body clothing (tie, jacket, pants) on Bryce Wayne character from recently released Batman: Arkham City
title as example. Dynamic clothing on Samaritan
character was also demoed, but we had session about it at previous GDC
As a nice addition, few words were said about features of new clothing solver, introduced in PhysX SDK 3 (we expect it to appear in APEX Clothing 1.2
- Enhanced control over bending and shearing.
- Enhanced control over high-energy dynamics.
- Connected tapered capsule collision.
Second part of the session was focused on APEX Destruction
, and how it was used to create destructible environments in Alice: Madness Returns
Several upcoming features for Destruction module were also revealed:
- Multiple interior materials per assets.
- Fracturing by selected (ability to have pieces with different fracturing setting in one asset, like concrete and wood).
- UV based cutout fracturing.
Unfortunately, only brief overview of APEX Turbulence
module was given, but we can expect it to be integrated in UE3/UDK as well.