Thread: Dual card setup
View Single Post
Old 03-20-12, 11:44 AM   #15
johnv

Default Re: Dual card setup

I'm hesitant to give recommendations without knowing more about your rig and your setup. First off, if you are running a dual boot for windows and linux, if you diable sli physically and windows drivers are setup for sli, you might hose windows setup. Second, I've seen some reference to bios settings for sli, but I also know that on my mobo, the instructions to setup sli have nothing to do with any setting in my bios: install boards to 16x slots, connect sli bridge, connect pcie power to cards, boot and setup with nvidia control panel in windows. But your mobo may have a bios setting as well; I don't know, not knowing what mobo you have.

If you are running linux only, then I know what I would do:
1) power down
2) disconnect the sli bridge connector, if one is connecting the gfx boards
3) make sure all monitors are connected
4) boot into bios and check for sli options; disable if found
5) boot into linux and make sure that nvidia driver is the only graphics driver that will load (ie totally disable nouveau: if `lsmod | grep nouveau` shows anything, you will need to disable nouveau and reboot
6) boot into single user mode or `sudo telinit 1`
7) as root, create a fresh xorg.conf:
a) backup existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf (DO THIS)
b) create fresh temporary xorg.conf: `Xorg -configure`
c) modify xorg.conf for nvidia driver: `nvidia-xconfig -c ./xorg.conf.new -o ./xorg.conf.nvidia`
d) test new xorg.conf.nvidia: `Xorg -config ./xorg.conf.nvidia`
NOTE: if this hangs, then CTRL-ALT-F1 will return you to terminal and you can kill
the server manually. Stop here if this happens to troubleshoot what went wrong
(check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for starters).
e) if you had any additions or tweaks for input drivers in backed up xorg.conf, you will
probably want to add them to the new xorg.conf, at some point
8) if all goes well to here, you are ready to `cp ./xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf`
9) telinit 2 will take you into multiuser mode, what ever graphical login manager you have
installed or terminal if none
10) once running X with new config, you can run nvidia-settings and tweak the layout in the
"X Server Display Configuration" section

If all monitors don't show up, troubleshooting is next, but I'm way ahead of myself already

This how I get started. "Murphy's Law" states that this will probably not go with out some kind
of hitch, but it's a start. This, in and of it's self, does not get the setup you want, but it's a start. You
would need a good ServerLayout section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well as proper screen
definitions to match your setup in Screen sections. But that can come after, perhaps the
nvidia-settings ui will be enough to set it up, perhaps it will require manual edits. Can go into that
later. Let me know if you decide to go this route and want some help.

John
johnv is offline   Reply With Quote