View Single Post
Old 03-24-12, 10:36 AM   #52
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
No, it wouldn't. In the typical enterprise environment, you're going to have deals with vendors like dell or hp where you order say 50 desktop systems (which in the future will probably include windows 8 OEM) and you'll spend around say $375 per system for an i3 processor, 4GB of ram, 250GB HDD and includes a 20" monitor.

You'll then have a volume license for Windows 7 Enterprise which costs you $60-80 per desktop (depending on any existing deals you have) and the first thing you'll do with the new computers is blow out the included OS and do an online unattended install of your volume licensed copy with an image that already includes all of your necessary applications and updates pre-installed.

And then on top of that, when you need upgrades, you can work with any vendor of your choosing.

With apple you are just stuck with whatever apple gives you, you'll pay two to three times as much per machine, and installing your applications is a manual process driving the costs even higher. There's a reason most businesses don't use apple. In fact you're far more likely to find linux than apple in *any* business.

In fact, my school used to include apple, but they stopped because they're expensive and nobody has any need for them. However in our business department linux is very popular because of apache as well as many advanced networking features not found in any other OS, except Cisco's IOS (not to be confused with apple's iOS) and Junipers JunOS, both of which only run on specialized hardware.
As much as I love my Apple products, I will agree that they are not business ready.

Three months ago, we had maybe 1 call or issue about a Mac setup. Today? It's phenomenal how many people are buying Macs and asking us how to do this and that. Heck I had to teach a simple class on them to my co-workers so they know what each mail client supports, what's the best method, etc.

Going back to my original statement, Office applications for the Mac simply suck. Microsoft Office is the best office suite and I doubt anybody will every come close to beating them. However, when they made Office 2008 and 2011, they really screwed Mac users by giving them HORRIBLE software. Outlook is the worst out of any of them. Instead of making PST files like the Windows version, it creates a database to hold your email locally. And the more and more emails you put in that DB, the slower your Outlook runs. It's absolute GARBAGE.

You know what I told my company that we should only support? If any client wants Office on their Mac, they need to purchase Parallels/Fusion, install Windows 7 and then Office 2010. No lie. It's really sad that Microsoft can make such a horrible product. Heck, Office 2010 inside of a WinXP/Win7 VM runs lighter and faster than the native Office 2011 apps! WTF?

Apple Mail is alright but there are certain situations where it won't work. Have Exchange 03? You have to use POP/IMAP. You have to have Exchange 2007 and up to setup a true Exchange account. That only takes care of mail. What about Calendar and Contacts? Some people don't like having three separate programs open (Mail, iCal and Address Book).

All of this is to say that having an Apple environment is just not feasible right now. However, people are buying them left and right all of a sudden around Nashville and the TN area. I know that iPhones are the most popular phones in our area and cause the least issues compared to other smartphones, but that's a different story.

Businesses will still continue to buy the $200 eMachine ghetto PCs all day long and my company will continue to support them, Windows 8 and all.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote