View Single Post
Old 01-03-04, 04:00 AM   #7
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Exclamation Re: Radeon 9600 XT vs. Geforce FX 5600 +

Quote:
Originally posted by Damascus
I am in the market for a new mid-range video card under $175. I've been looking around on ebay, and have found a brand new Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128mb DDR AGP 8x for $140, and an XFX Geforce FX 5600 Ultra 128mb DDR AGP 8x for $140. I'm not too familiar with nVidia stuff, I just upgraded from a 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 to this Geforce 4 MX420 and it didnt take long to realize that I had pretty much wasted money, because the GF4 isnt really that much faster than my old Voodoo... However it is nice to use 32bit.. If I had did some research last time and seen that the GF4 was just a beefed up version of the GF2, I wouldnt have bought it. Does anyone know any good websites that post honest benchmarks between these 2 cards? Also, a Geforce FX 5750 and 5800 could fall into the game also... a lot of people have told me that ATI makes faster cards, but suffer compatibility problems with the drivers... but as far as that goes, I have suffered some game incompatibilities with my GF4. Also, are the FX serier TRUELY DX9 compliant? I know the manufacturer of my GF4 advertised that the card was "optimized for DX 8 / WinXP"... and this card supports nothing of DX 8! No pixel shading or anything!! I appreciate any replies, and any sites showing any kind of review information comparing the two are great
First of you very poorly informed
__________________________________________________ __________
Geforce 4 MX420 is just a GF 2 as you said beefed up and have no pixel shader support. Nvidia fooled unsuspecting customers by calling it GF4.
BUT REAL
Geforce 4 Titanium 4200 / 4400 / 4600 are way faster then GF 2 or 3
and have full range support for DX 8 and pixel shaders.
Now Nvidia FX line all cards have support for DX 9 offcourse anything lower then 5700 number is slow to very slow on DX 9 stuff

Ati cards anything above number 9500 have great support for DX 9 and better speed then Nvidias Fx line

Also numbers 8500 to 9200 have only DX8.1 support no DX9.
Back to your original question Radeon 9600 Pro or XT models are realy good cards , and no there woun't be any compatibility problems between Nvidia Nforce Motherboards and ATI cards , atleast none of us do or so i think and just in case don't waist money on video cards with 256 megs of ram not worth it , 128 is plenty for current generation