View Single Post
Old 04-08-12, 04:03 PM   #59
Redeemed

Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Interesting info Rakeesh, thank you.

As to Windows 8, I've been giving this some more thought.

I've worked retail in various positions for the past, well, almost 7 years. And to be honest, as much as we may not like it being power users I think Windows 8 just may do very well. Follow me here-

The average computer user, though far more capable now then prior years, still prefers something that is simple. And what can be more simple than touch based devices? They also prefer something that is sleek in appearances. What is more sleek, tidy, and uncluttered than a touch-based device?

Honestly I think Windows 8 is an indication of where the market is going. No, desktops are not going anywhere. They are, however, changing. Significantly.

Take a look, for example, at the sigs of the members of this forum (and likely any hardware forum). Many are still rocking LGA775 based computers, even more are rocking LGA 1155/1156/LGA1366 or Quad and Six-Core AMD based systems (AM3/AM3+), but fewer are rocking absolutely bleeding-edge components. As much as I'd love to do a major over haul to my system, I'd likely see very little real-world benefit. My CPU, though now 3 years old, is still excessive for my usage. 16GB of RAM is beyond over kill. My 5870 can play absolutely every game out there, most of them with all in-game options maxed (@ 1920x1200, worst case scenerio is no AA though with most titles I can have some level of AA). All of these parts are now comparable to more mainstream components. A single 7870 outpaces my 5870, higher end Core i5's can compete with my stock 920 and if over clocked, surpass my 920. Really the only upgrade that would yield noticeable improvements would be to my storage sub-systems: newer and larger SSD(s), larger and faster HDDs for all my storage needs. Anything else would yield improvements but nothing that'd I'd be wowed by.

My point? My system is far from high-end anymore. If anything it is slipping more towards main-stream. Yet it is still quite powerful and capable. As I type this up I have about 12 tabs open in FF, WMP is minimized playing a playlist, I've got Steam running in the background as well as Norton 360- and I can switch between applications or tabs in a heart beat. There is zero delay in anything I want to do. My only complaint with my computer? The very few times I work with HD video I'd like it to create my videos quicker. I do that so seldom though that I'm not worried about it.

Moving onto my point- individual components are becoming so powerful and cheap, I believe the desktop market will become saturated with all-in-one PCs. The touchscreen models from Dell, HP, ASUS and the likes will sell very well once Windows 8 comes out.

Think about it- when you need the advantages of a keyboard and mouse you can use them with an all in one PC. For simple desktop navigation Metro on a touch-screen all in one PC will be a hit. And most touch screen all in ones pack some pretty potent hardware- quad core processors, dedicated graphics cards, HD displays, 8GB of RAM or greater, larger HDD (1TB or greater) and I could even see manufacturers offering SSDs with them. For the average joe such a computer is more than fast enough to meet their needs, it takes up less space, looks neater.

Honestly, I think the desktop market will move towards the All-in-ones. Having a tower with separate monitor will become less common. More of a niche market. Most PC gamers aren't too worried with visual quality anymore. The low-end and mainstream GPUs in all-in-one PCs will play every game out at decreased visuals compared to higher-end systems.

For us power users? Who knows- maybe Windows 8 Business/Pro and Ultimate will offer the tradition start button and start menu. Or maybe we'll be forced to use hacks. Either way, I think we all just need to swallow the truth that desktop-computing is going to be taken over by touch-based applications and devices. A lot of graphics artists use Wacom tablets or the likes for their drawings, and in programs like Adobe Photoshop or Premier or whatever similar program use of the mouse and keyboard is unhindered by metro.

My personal opinion of 8 remains the same- Windows 7 will more than likely remain my main OS unless I can easily disable metro (either through built-in methods in Windows 8 or via very simple hacks) and use a tradition start button and menu. I will, however, have a separate Windows 8 install on its own SSD (likely my current 30GB once I get a new and larger SSD).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote