View Single Post
Old 04-14-12, 10:20 PM   #69
Rakeesh

Default Re: How real people will use Windows 8 on the desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
To name a few big examples:

-iPod changed the market for mobile music players. Everyone else followed.
Apple followed everybody else. In fact iphone is probably one of the least featured portable music player, always has been. Hell they don't even support FLAC.

Quote:
-iTunes changed the way customers buy music. Started the digital music distribution era in a big way. Expanded to other categories than just music. Everyone else can't keep up.
No they didn't start it. The only thing that I think apple really did was strong arm the RIAA to allow DRM free music. THAT I will give apple credit for.

Quote:
-iPhone made the smartphones smart and revolutionized touch interfaces completely. Everyone else copied it.
-App Store, nothing else to add...
-iPad kick-started the tablet era after countless failed tries by others with bad products. Everyone else tries to keep up.
Anyways how is any of this IT?

Quote:
-high quality notebooks. By now, as you mention, others like HP, Dell and Lenovo are doing the same, thanks to Apple. Before, PC notebooks were cheaply made except for some high end products like Voodoo PC for example.
How exactly did apple influence that? I've owned many decent laptops since back in 1999. I have a dell inspiron from 2001 that still works fine.

And apple doesn't exactly make good laptops, a huge number of the ones they've made have anything from overheating problems due to bad HSF design, to faulty motherboards due to cheap caps.

You never hear about it on the apple forums because apple always deletes those posts.

Quote:
-Apple forced Intel to come up with usable ultra-low-power mobile CPUs and later made SSDs the default option for their MacBook Airs, which everyone is now trying to catch up to with Intel's Ultrabooks.
Intel was doing that long before Apple went x86. The intel Core architecture was based upon the Pentium M, because the Pentium 4 was just garbage. AMD was kicking intels ass around that period because intel stupidly optimized their processors to have the most megahertz rather than the most speed, and they reached a brick wall with their crappy netburst architecture due to heat issues.

Quote:
-Apple is forcing Intel to come up with faster integrated GPUs.
Actually AMD is doing that. AMD is currently killing intel in the mobile space, and intel wants that market back. In the embedded space, nVidia is killing intel right now.

As a matter of fact, Intel is currently working on GPU/CPU SoC's, and Apple will never be a customer for that (they prefer ARM SoC's for that application.)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote