View Single Post
Old 04-16-12, 01:07 PM   #184
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I think Redeemed works for one of those places that markets to.........................republicans

Sorry Redeemed

MS is trying to push an OS that's geared towards a very small niche market, momma leaning over the counter to look up a recipe

Touch screens are very successful where they are most practical, tablets and phones, and even some tablets have keyboards that can be attached.

MS is banking on the market suddenly being flooded with touch screen PCs and no matter how it's done, one segment of the market or another is going to be *at best* inconvenienced. It's like someone said at the previews release, why would they want to alienate such a huge portion of their user base?

Bad design decisions, bad marketing strategy, disregarding the vast majority of their user base for what amounts to a change for the sake of saying "We did it differently!"

Yeah, I hope 8 ends horribly for MS.
It is a gamble on their part. As I've said the sales for all in one desktop PCs has gown... but not by leaps and bounds either.

I think MS is gambling that the kind of desktops we use here, are going to become the niche markets. While the all in one PCs with touch screen will become the norm. Hence their focus on Metro.

There's a very big chance that wont happen, and the market for all in ones does not increase as they appear to be anticipating. If that's the case, then 8 will be a flop after which I can guarantee 9 will have some sort of re-introduction of the start button and menu.

The other alternative is as I've already stated- the sales of all in one touchscreen desktop PCs will grow as MS must think it will causing 8 to be a success. In which case we may never see start button and menu again without the use of hacks or even shells.

But from what I gather the Start Button and Menu have not been removed entirely, it's still possible to enable them via registry tweaks. If this is the case then it is likely MS did this for a reason. It seems like it'd be fully possible to release maybe with the first or second SP and "update" that re-enables the start button and menu "just in case" metro flops.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote