Originally Posted by cdufour
Having similar issue here.
100% reproducible on GT520 (GF108; VideoBIOS 70.08.5c.00.00) hardware with both drivers 295.20 and 295.40 (x86_64; kernel 2.6.32, Ubuntu 10.04):
- first launch of X: OK
- whenever X is re-started (e.g. logoff) => drivers locks up (but hosts still accessible via SSH)
- must reboot to solve the issue (rmmod-ing and modprobe-ing the 'nvidia' module is not enough)
Corresponding kernel messages:
Nothing relevant shows up in /var/log/Xorg.*.log
Replacing the card by a GT520 (GF119; VideoBIOS 75.19.1b.00.01) solves the issue.
Also note we use the same driver (295.20 on 100+ hosts with other nVidia chipsets) and the problem does not occur:
10 Device 0de4 (rev a1) - ERROR
1 Device 0e22 (rev a1) - OK
10 Device 1040 (rev a1) - OK
1 Device 1200 (rev a1) - OK
1 Device 1244 (rev a1) - OK
12 G86 [Quadro NVS 290] (rev a1) - OK
40 G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1) - OK
9 GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2) - OK
6 NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)] (rev a1) - OK
11 NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] (rev a1) - OK
Hope that problem can be solved soon (as ten of just-acquired workstations are currently just useless)
cdufour, Please provide information as much as you can get to reproduce the issue :
- attach nvidia bug report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh script as root.
- Desktop Environment you are using like KDE, GNOME, Unity etc…
- Window Manager you are using Compiz, gnome-shell, Kwin, Unity etc…
- Is the use is specific to GPU, System hardware, OS , Software Component etc…?
- Using any display manager like gdm, kdm etc…