View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 11:01 PM   #193
TheOneAndOnly

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Tablet PCs are the future. Desktops will slowly switch from mouse/keyboard to touchscreen/keyboard.

Just look at what Apple's doing and their ridiculous growth over the last 5 years. Microsoft is no fool. They want something that's going to compete with iOS, and Windows 8 is their answer. Whether it's well received or not... who knows, but it's not going to be a massive failure, I can guarantee you that.
Tablet PC's have been out for almost a decade and they've never caught on to anything. If it isn't Microsoft screwing it up, its the OEMs that cant really design ****. Look at the Ultrabook push thats going on right now. Even now, after dozens of different designs have been released, the Mac Air is still above and beyond all of them when it comes to design alone.
As far as getting rid of the mouse and keyboard, unless Wintel can come up with a horizontal design that everyone will use, people better start working out now, before they get gorilla arm Otherwise, don't hold your breath.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have very little faith that Wintel can predict or control the future. As it is, they are still chasing Apple when it comes to hardware and software design and user experience. They have been for several years now. I see little chance of that changing anytime soon.

As far as Windows 8 goes, you are right, it won't be a massive failure. But it will be a massive step down from Windows 7 when it comes to customer satisfaction in the desktop and laptop markets. If Wintel tablets ever actually catch on, then I see it becoming more successful there. But then once again, MS is at the mercy of the OEM designers to make that happen. Again, not holding my breath.
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote