This post is the culmination of 48 hours of intense Googling, Foruming, Cursing, Head Scratching and Sorrow. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Got a new box today, and new 12.04 LTS ISO. While trying to make the magic happen with a clean install and a fresh pair of 24 inch monitors and a lenovo docking station ( I confirmed that dual head is supported, one VGA, one DVI), I hit a nVidia debacle that is stumping me. My system configuration is at the bottom.--
I place the laptop in the docking station and I am able to get one monitor up. Here is what I tried (after locking myself out of X, and having to do another fresh install):
0. sudo nvidia-settings. [this gave me the following message:You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.]
2. run nvidia-xconfig. [this failed hard on restart, left me with a 400-600 screen]
1. download linux driver for appropriate nVidia card [confirmed it is already installed]
4. revert to my backed up xorg.conf [things are back to where I started]
5. Removed nouveau drivers for X.
6. Enabled OPTIMUS for nVidia at the BIOS level (scary stuff)
7. sudo nvidia-xconfig
8. gksudo nvidia-settings [when I boot using the nvidia xorg.conf now, things look better than step 2]
After step 8, I still get the "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
Lenovo Thinkpad 420s
Processor: Intel Core i7-2640M Processor (2.80GHz, 4M Cache with Turbo Boost up to 3.50GHz)
Display type 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System graphics NVIDIA Quadro NVS4200M Optimus technology (1GB)
Total memory 8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Hard drive 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Dock: Lenovo Mini-dock 3 Series