View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 08:13 AM   #40
Gusar

Default Re: Please do not use 295.40 or the security patch with GeForce 6, 7 or 8800GTX/GTS c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDan View Post
I know glxgears is not a benchmarking app
And yet you used it as one. Exactly the crazy mentality I don't get.

Quote:
but as it is available to anyone running Linux, it is useful as a comparison.
What do you think benchmarking is, if not comparing? So no, glxgears is *not* useful as a comparison. Your case is a perfect example. Glxgears showing 60fps has a completely different cause than some performance issue.

Quote:
but it shows it is better than using 302.07 (and that is backed up by the real-world "feel" of the user interface).
Like I said, the 60fps has a completely different cause. So the glxgears number didn't tell you anything. Search around, where the 60fps comes from. And then hopefully you'll facepalm yourself.

Also, let's examine your numbers further: You said 600fps with nouveau, but 1000fps with nvidia-295.33. But you had lag with nvidia. How is that possible, glxgears showed a higher number!
Now you said you're back with nvidia-295.33 but suddenly no lag anymore. Well, what's the glxgears number now, same isn't it?

Conclusion: The glxgears number is completely meaningless. And saying it's not a benchmark but it's useful as a comparison is just dumb. Benchmarking *is* comparing!

I've done this dance so many times. And I'll probably have to continue to do so. It's an exercise in masochism, that's what it is...
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote