View Single Post
Old 05-18-12, 01:15 PM   #34
TDMX595

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl_ View Post
I agree, these cards are really, really old. Dropping support for them now is reasonable. If you really bought a GeForce 4 MX in 2006, that's a bit your fault. The GPU was already quite old and outdated back then, and actually was only a renaming of the GeForce 2 when it was released! These GPUs are 12 years old tech!
I registered for this forum to reply to this thread specifically because statements like this really anger me.

Why does it matter how old the tech is? The GeForce 4 MX series graphics cards still have plenty of power to run the latest releases of Linux distros. I think that's a testament to excellent design by NVidia coupled with the flexibility of running a Linux OS. The NVidia 173/96 drivers would still be working perfectly fine if the x.org server hadn't changed. The philosophy that just because something is old and outdated that it should just be discarded is nearsighted and wasteful.

I too am suffering from the 96 driver not working anymore. It worries me that NVidia can't promise to update it, but I understand their position and agree that dropping support now is totally reasonable. I'm at least happy for those of you using the 173 driver. My only hope is that if they don't update the 96 driver perhaps they could release the source so those of us who still want to use legacy hardware with newer OS releases can.

The card I'm using is not on my main machine, it's on a secondary backup machine. This machine is 10 years old, yet it is still powerful enough to run the OS and could still be useful. I feel as though anyone who makes the argument that I should just upgrade isn't understanding that many of us already have upgraded, probably many times over, but would like to continue using older hardware that is still useful.
TDMX595 is offline   Reply With Quote