View Single Post
Old 05-20-12, 01:27 PM   #39
TDMX595

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
And here you are, being angry that even older tech might not be supported anymore.
To clarify: I am in no way angry that the card might not be supported anymore. My anger is in no way directed towards NVidia. I love NVidia, and have been a loyal user since 1999. It is perfectly reasonable that the GeForce 4 series cards are no longer supported.

What I believe is that the cards still have plenty of use. If the 96 drivers aren't going to be updated I'll downgrade that computer's OS and keep it in a usable state.

What angers me is the philosophy that older tech and old things should be discarded or not used. I perceive this to be a common problem of the current era. Even though it is fallacious I'll illustrate my point with a reductio ad absurdum argument: I love the original NES. I still derive use and pleasure from it. It has now been nearly 30 years since its release. According to the logic of hl_ and other users I should just discard it and buy something new. Or perhaps as you implied Gusar, put it in a museum. I already own newer gaming systems. I like those, I use those as well. However, as stated above I still derive use and pleasure from my NES. Therefore I refuse to just throw my NES away, or stop using it just because it's old tech.

Again, this is a fallacious analogy and I'm not actually trying to win any arguments. (This is the internet after all.) However, I want to be clear about how I (and it appears to me) many other users feel. There's still plenty of life in old NVidia cards. I intend to use them until the hardware physically fails. The fact that I've been using a GeForce 4 card for 10 years is a testament to NVidia's quality.

To AaronP and the NVidia Linux team: Thank you for all your hard work in getting the 173 drivers up and running!
TDMX595 is offline   Reply With Quote